|IMPORTANT: For SSL secure access setup, an SSL certificate has to be acquired.|
Process of acquiring an SSL certificate:
- Generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) which requires the following data:
Country Name (2 letter code) [e.g.: US]:
State or Province Name (full name) [e.g.: Some-State]:
Locality Name (e.g. city) :
Organization Name (e.g. company) [e.g.: Internet Widgits Pty Ltd]:
Organizational Unit Name (e.g. section) :
Common Name (e.g. server FQDN) [e.g.: somecollege.edu]:
Email Address :
Tip NOTE: If the relevant authority does not provide possibility for generating a CSR, either the local IT department or the LearningSpace Support Team can do it - if given the above data. Note IMPORTANT: When generating a CSR, a CSR file and a key is created. The key has to be treated with the utmost discretion: it must not be shared even with the certificate signing authority.
- In possession of a CSR, a valid and signed SSL certificate can be purchased from a certificate authority.
- During the signing process, the coding and format of the certificate can be selected on the site of the signing authority. LearningSpace requires the "standard" format which is the BASE64 encoded X.509 (PEM) certificate.
Intermediate/ Chain certificate:
If the signing authority is not a root CA, then a so-called Intermediate or Chain certificate is also provided along with the SSL certificate. In such case, the Intermediate/ Chain certificate has to be copied into the signed certificate in the following way:
- Open a text editor for the signed certificate and the intermediate certificate separately.
- Copy the content of the intermediate certificate.
- Paste the content of the intermediate certificate to the end of the signed certificate.
|IMPORTANT: In many cases, the signed certificate does not contain a last line-break. If the content of the intermediate certificate is pasted without the last line-break, it can result in error in file format. When uploading such an erroneously formatted file (see example below), it renders the operation of the web-server impossible and the LearningSpace system inaccessible!|
............ (full content of the signed certificate) ......
............ (full content of the intermediate certificate) ......
-----END CERTIFICATE----------BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----